Today, to grow and sustain, a business must have a digital presence. The internet revolution, along with social media, has changed the traditional marketing game. There are multiple marketing methods available such as digital marketing, social media marketing, content marketing, and search engine marketing. Most of the time, marketers use them interchangeably to promote their business.
But the fact remains that all of them are different and have individual benefits. Content marketing and digital marketing are two of the most commonly used forms of marketing. Hence in this article, we will decode content marketing vs. digital marketing. We will try to understand the advantages and disadvantages of content and digital marketing. This will give you a comprehensive idea of how these marketing strategies function. Hence, you can select the one which suits your requirement and boost your online presence.
What is Content Marketing?
Let’s first understand content marketing in this journey of content marketing vs. digital marketing. Most of us think content is limited to write-ups, blogs, and articles but contrary to this popular belief, content marketing also deals with visuals, video scripts, podcasts, graphics, and social media posts.
Content marketing strategy is a more audience-based marketing strategy. In simple words, the content marketer needs to be very specific about the target audience. For example, what might work for adults won’t appeal to children. Hence, knowing your target audience is essential. Moreover, you have to be very specific about how your content can apply to your audience.
Hence, to address what is content marketing, it can be said that content marketing targets the expectations and needs of the target audience.
Advantages of Content Marketing Strategy
Even though content marketing is more complicated than other marketing practices, it still stands out to be one of the most preferred forms of marketing strategy.
Let’s find out why?
- Better engagement – Compared to other marketing forms, the audience responds to content marketing campaigns more positively. Content marketing gives a clear understanding of how they benefit from it. This leads to better engagement, builds trust, and develops brand value.
- Affordable – Along with being one of the most successful marketing strategies, content marketing is also affordable. Hence, whether you’re a small business or a large one, you can promote your business through content marketing strategies.
Disadvantages of Content Marketing Strategy
- Experience and expertise – We broadly discussed how content marketing is target-specific. It will give excellent results only when the research is comprehensive and the audience is appropriately targeted. Hence, you will require a content marketing expert.
- Takes time – Unlike other marketing forms, it will take a while before you can build your audience base with your regular content. But yes, once you have established your base, the results will be fruitful.
What is Digital Marketing?
Now, let’s come to the second section in our journey of content marketing vs. digital marketing. Let’s understand digital marketing strategy through a statement – “We live in the digital era!” You must be thinking, ‘we all know this, but how does this explain digital marketing?’
In simple words, any marketing, advertisement, or promotion that uses an online or digital channel, comes under a cloud of digital marketing. This is why so many popular forms of marketing are included as a part of digital marketing.
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Email Marketing
- Guest Blogging
- Video Marketing
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC)
All these popular forms of marketing are a part of digital marketing. Even content marketing comes under digital marketing. It’s the specific targets and expertise which make it so different from the other marketing strategy.
Advantages of Digital Marketing Strategy
To understand, what is digital marketing, let’s go through the advantages –
- Choices – The most significant advantage digital marketing has over other strategies is the vast choices it offers. This gives you the freedom to experiment with your strategies. Once you have analyzed what works for you, boost it and reduce investment in others. Hence, the adaptability which digital marketing offers is a big plus.
- Fast and Effective – Unlike content marketing, mixed strategies used in digital marketing can result in business’s fast growth. This is because you are not restricted to one single strategy. Hence, if your SEO is not performing, you can always switch to SMM.
Disadvantages of Digital Marketing Strategy
- No guarantee – While digital marketing campaigns can show you early results, there is no guarantee of how long they will last. Moreover, most of the digital marketing strategies are based on other platforms. For example, suppose you are promoting your digital marketing campaign through Instagram. Tomorrow, if Instagram brings some new updates, it can severely affect your growth. Similarly, Google updates, ad blockers, and spam lists in email marketing can suddenly halt your reach and growth.
- Targeting audience – The most vital advantage of content marketing turns out to be one of the most notable drawbacks of digital marketing. The explosive growth of digital marketing attracts massive competition among the business. Due to this outburst of information, people have become numb to data that doesn’t appeal to them. Hence, grabbing the attention of your audience is a challenging task.
The Difference – Content Marketing vs. Digital Marketing
By now, we have established that even though content marketing and digital marketing are pretty similar, they cannot be used conversely.
Let’s note down the key differences between content and digital marketing –
- Digital marketing attracts fast growth, whereas content marketing is a long-term investment. The latter requires patience and expertise to succeed.
- Content Marketing is crafted for a specific audience, whereas digital marketing is preferred for a broad consumer.
- Content marketing aims to build trust with the audience, but digital marketing strategies like PPC are action-based and direct.
- Content marketing is one method of promoting your business online, whereas digital marketing is usually used as a combination of multiple strategies.
While these differences are very prominent, we can’t ignore that content marketing should be based on your digital marketing strategy.
Let me elaborate – Imagine you post a blog about your product promotion. If the audience likes what they see, there are chances they will check your website or social media. If they don’t find the product being promoted there, then, alas! Your content marketing won’t succeed. The vice-versa is also true. For an effective result, you will have to ensure that your digital marketing is in sync with your content marketing plan.
Now, you’re aware of the critical differences between the two prominent marketing strategies. Choose the one that meets your specification and invest accordingly.